Monday, October 12, 2015

"Participate 1.1.2 Joining a Digital Learning Community" Quest




Participate 1.1.2

Symbaloo:
I chose to highlight Symbaloo as my socialmedia book marking tool because I already have accounts on that site. I have several accounts and use them for resources for my students and for resources to teach my pre-K daughter.

DLC:
At this moment in my life, my every minute is accounted for and, despite my never ending lists of things I’d like to do for myself, there just isn’t time to add one more thing. Inevitably, I add something and then feel guilty about not being able to give it my full attention. The same is going to happen with the new DLC that I selected to join. I am absolutely **dying** to participate in the courses that MIT offers in its Open Courseware. Take Chinese for free?? YES! Learn about contemporary French film and social issues?? OF COURSE! Astrodynamics??  No thanks, but sounds cool. This DLC was most intriguing personally because I love to learn. I love being the student. In addition, this DLC had the most in-depth offerings. Any person in the world, as long as they can access the internet, can take these courses. There are even testimonials from “self-learners” from seemingly remote locations, who make up 43% of the users, showing how the materials can be used in various ways in increase understanding. With videos of lectures by professors and supplementary resources in many of the subjects, there is much in the way of content available to all.

The elements that initially attracted me to the majority of DLCs were: there are images related to the text, there are a variety of offerings, and there are resources available right on the homepage of the website. I usually find this type of layout more welcoming and user friendly upon first investigation. The images somehow make such communities seem less intimidating. I think that these elements would also make these DLC most appealing to younger users. The one element that DLCs should implement is a homepage that does not require log in before viewing the resources. That format is somewhat off-putting. It would also be nice if you did not have to supply personal information in order to subscribe. Many students’ parents do not let them provide personal information over the internet, which I believe is a smart practice in general.

I’d like to find a personal interest DLC related to sewing. I love to sew dresses for my daughter, although I rarely get the chance.




No comments:

Post a Comment