Tuesday, June 7, 2016

"Communicate 4.3.1 The Synchronous Session" Quest

"Communicate 4.3.1 The Synchronous Session" Quest

Click on the image below to enlarge


Synchronous Sessions are invaluable to connecting with students and letting them know that they are not alone, that they have friendly support, and that they are expected to maintain a virtual presence in my class. GAVS no longer requires students to attend weekly sessions, but in my AP French class, I actually do require that they either attend or that they watch a recording of the session and that they submit the work assigned during the session via dropbox. This time together creates a sense of belonging and camaraderie, as well as affords the students the opportunity to practice in "real time" what they will do on the day of the AP exam while also getting immediate feedback. This is the only time in the course that students get immediate feedback and I find that they really enjoy and appreciate my efforts.

My Adobe Connect classroom is a reflection of me as a person and as a teacher. Above is capture of my classroom Welcome Chat layout. I use the same layout every semester for the Welcome Chat. I don't care for using the live video camera for several reasons (slow, causes interruptions in presentation, do not like to see my self talking) but I do post a photograph of myself so that students can "see me" during the meeting. In general for all meetings, I always include a welcome note, helpful links, files that students will need, a sign in sheet link, an announcement pod, and either a video or music for students to watch as they wait for stragglers to arrive to class. Usually, the music or video relates to the topic that will be discussed. The lesson is almost always student centered after the first few classes of the semester. The time is used to do the AP Exam free response items in a timed atmosphere.

I have never really had a problem with attendance at my sessions. I've always managed to have high attendance, even when I taught levels 1, 2 and 3. In general, students who have attended sessions tend to perform better in the course overall. I do not necessarily think that is because they attended, however. I think that students who are motivated and who excel in general are the more conscientious ones and that is the group who attends consistently and who performs well. I think students like the interactive nature of the sessions and the immediate feedback. They like being able to ask questions in real time. They like "being" with their peers. I like being with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment