Tuesday, July 19, 2016

"Evaluate 2.1.2 Rubrics and Competencies" Quest

"Evaluate 2.1.2 Rubrics and Competencies" Quest


 I chose to implement the creation competencies and association of them with a learning objective and an assignment in our GAVS LMS, BrightSpace. None of the courses I teach at GAVS ever have learning objectives associated with the assignments and there are no competencies either. A a teacher, we've never been taught how to do this. I learned it would take an inordinate amount of time to do this activity for each assignment every semester, so I hope that, should this information be required in the future, the GAVS master course would include this type of documentation.

I decided to use an old course from Fall 2015 to explore this new skill. I selected the following standard and its strands from the Georgia Standards:

Interpretive Mode of Communication (INT) 

MLIV.INT1 The students comprehend spoken and written language on new and familiar topics presented through a variety of media in the target language, including authentic materials. The students: 

A. Identify main ideas, supporting details and various elements, such as plot, theme, setting, and characters, from a variety of texts. 

B. Understand some subtleties of meaning, such as intent, humor, and tone, in a variety of level-appropriate works in the target language that are culturally authentic, such as radio and television segments or literary passages. 

C. Comprehend and react to current events and issues presented through print and electronic media. 

D. Understand simple connected discourse. 

E. Demonstrate Intermediate-Low to Intermediate-Mid proficiency in listening and reading comprehension.

I chose a listening comprehension quiz based on an authentic source as the focus of the assignment to which I would add the competencies. Here are my screenshots of the process:

Once I selected the standard, I created the competencies:




Here is a completed list of the competencies:


Next I created the learning objective:



Finally, I added these elements to an existing quiz that assessed the standards I selected.


Correlating standards with assessments is something that (hopefully) all teachers do for everything that they teach. I know that when I design a unit, I start with the essential question, then I make a list of standards that are being taught. Finally, I design assessments to determine what has been mastered. 



No comments:

Post a Comment