Tuesday, July 19, 2016

"Evaluate 3.1.2 Self-Reflection on Teaching Abilities" Quest

"Evaluate 3.1.2 Self-Reflection on Teaching Abilities" Quest

Teaching at GAVS, I maintain a monthly focus on reflection through our ePortfolio requirements. I love this practice because it makes me examine what I am doing right and it challenges me to do even better. By gathering artifacts each month for Best Practices, Differentiation, Professional Development, and Data Analysis, I am able to look back over the year as it ends to see my growth and to plan for more success the coming year. Although I know it takes some time because I always like to try to make my collections interesting, it is worth the effort. Below is a link to my ePortfolio.

My GAVS ePortfolio 2015-2016


I also look forward to receiving evaluations from my QAS. These evaluations help me learn where to better spend my time as an online instructor. For example, from my most recent evaluation, I realized that I'd let my homepage lag a bit in terms of making it as interactive as possible. My goal for this year is to find more ways to bring students to the homepage for exciting activities or videos. Below are screenshots of my most recent evaluation.







The experience of completing the TOOL course has been wonderful. I have enjoyed reflecting on what I know and expanding that knowledge to include new tools that will undoubtedly increase my effectiveness as a teacher. I am without a doubt a better teacher overall for having taught online. Teaching online forces one to take time to reflect because the flow of the day actually allows for reflection, unlike many face to face environments. This has been a bittersweet activity for me, as I approach the coming year of returning to the face to face classroom. When I left the traditional classroom to stay home with my newborn who is now 5 years old and thus began my career as an online instructor, I initially always found myself trying to explain my job and its importance. I felt apologetic at first for not being "in" the classroom. But what I have realized is that I have found a new home outside the walls of education: a home where colleagues are the most supportive I've ever worked with, a space where teachers and students can be equals and respect each other for our talents while helping each other shore up our weakness, and a place where I can explore and experiment and learn and grow and expand my horizons in a way that is not possible in the brick and mortar world. I am sad to be returning to the face to face classroom but thrilled that I can continue my career at GAVS at the same time. My goal is to learn how to combine my two worlds with grace and energy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment