Tuesday, May 31, 2016

"Communicate 1.1.1 – Definitions of Communication" Quest

"Communicate 1.1.1 – Definitions of Communication" Quest

How have your individual communication skills changed as with the innovations of technology? How have advancements in technology altered classroom communication? Will these change further?


I think there are two main ways my communication skills have changed since the advent of technology as a means of communication. First, I find it most easy and convenient to contact parents via email immediately when there is a problem with their child in the virtual or face to face classroom. I use it as an official way to document the contact and to make sure that all parties are "hearing" the same thing: somehow the written words seems to me a better means to clearly communicate. It gives me a chance to reflect and say exactly what I mean and it also gives the parent the chance to reflect on what I am saying. In addition, I usually find that parents respond more quickly to email than to returning a missed call. Second, I began using a website in conjunction with my face to face classroom at least 10 years ago because I found it to be the easiest way to communicate to those who were absent. This eventually evolved into a means of distributing handouts to all students, not just those who were absent. I also added links to my Quia games for students to review and do work as well as links for activities on the internet. It affords the students the opportunity to practice being responsible for their own materials and for thinking and planning in advance of attendance to class. Having all students use my website to stay up to date with the class also gives me more time during face to face class to encourage in depth learning because the students take care of procedural tasks, such as taking notes or gathering information pertinent to the lesson, ahead of time. I also used Dropbox.com as a way for students to submit work. I organize projects to be presented weekly on Mondays and students must submit their presentations the week before they present live in class. This procedure allows me to preview what the student plans to present so that I can give feedback for improving the pending presentation. It also makes sure that the student actually has the presentation on the day s/he is supposed to present. Small steps like these ensure that students are successful in the face to face classroom and gives them much needed experience as digital citizens.

Of course, the last 5 years, I have been teaching on line. All of the things I mentioned above are part of my daily routine and have become sole environment rather than just an extension of my classroom, including the use of Adobe Connect to "meet" with my students on a weekly basis. This coming school year, I will re-enter the face to face class and I am excited to include as much technology as possible. I think educators will see more use of individual devices as part of the instructional norm. However, I just heard on the radio this morning that a recent study comparing students who use a personal device during instruction versus those who did not showed that the ones who used a personal device experienced a drop in their GPA, even though those students were the ones who initially had higher GPAs. I think there is a time and a place during instruction for the use of personal devices and I think that use has to be planned time rather than just allowing students to use the device as they prefer. Many students are not mature enough to monitor their digital behavior which can lead to wasted time and off task behaviors. The use of personal devices should be very structured and intentional.




No comments:

Post a Comment