Friday, May 27, 2016

"Navigate 3.1.2 – Creation and Investigation into Courses" Quest

"Navigate 3.1.2 – Creation and Investigation into Courses" Quest

I was looking forward to this task because I am starting in a new face to face school in the fall and would like to incorporate an online classroom environment for those students because I think it is an invaluable learning experience for them and an indispensable teaching tool for me. I perused the various options listed in our Quest to determine which one I thought would ultimately provide me with the tools I need for my new students. I want specifically a space where students can submit work and where I can leave feedback, in hopes of encouraging digital learning for them and ease of assignment management for me. I also would like a calendar feature so that students can easily see assignments due from the convenience of their mobile devices or home computers. I also want a space where students can collaborate on projects and have discussions outside of class. I found that Many of the sample sites in our TOOL course seemed to have the most to offer on all of these counts.

Initally, I chose to use Moodle but once I signed up, I saw that I would have to potentially wait days to be "allowed" into the community, so I next I moved on to Canvas. However, I noticed that you need extensive training, starting with a 45 minute video, to be able to use the site. I want something more intutive than that and so I continued on to Blackboard. I was able to sign up and have access instantly. I was able to navigate to the sections that I needed in order to upload the content. However, I never was able to immediately see where the content loaded and honestly everything seemed to be a bit cumbersome at first attempt. Finally, I landed in Schoology.

Schoology's straightforward layout allowed me to register, click on courses, then select create. Once I filled out the pop up box form to provide specifics about the course, I was able to navigate to materials, add package, then view the course.





No comments:

Post a Comment