Friday, May 27, 2016

"Navigate 2.1.2 – Recorded Session" Quest

"Navigate 2.1.2 – Recorded Session" Quest




I use Adobe Connect every week to meet with  my AP French students at GAVS. I record sessions for students who attend, in the event that they want to revisit anything we've shared, and I record sessions for the students who are unable to attend that week. The policy at our school currently is that students are not required to attend sessions and that teachers, at a minimum, must hold office hours once per week. However, because I am a *rebel* and I teach an AP course, I require weekly attendance at sessions in order to better prepare the students for the AP College Board exam. Students who cannot attend must watch the recording and submit a summary of the session as well as any work completed during the session. Attendance is a graded assignment in my course.

Requiring the students to come provides them with the opportunity to speak authentically and spontaneously like they should be doing on a daily basis in order to become proficient in French. At the beginning of the semester, I introduce the course and then the AP exam format. After the initial few classes, I require them to complete timed free response tasks within the Adobe environment. They practice writing the email and the persuasive essay and they practice the spoken language tasks of presenting a 2 minute cultural comparison and responding to a pre-recorded conversation. Usually the schedule for any given class is: music, video (either music or world news), announcements and questions, and then the lesson or activity. The only challenging thing, at first use, is remember to hit record. I used to keep a post-it note on my computer screen to remind me but now it is second nature.

I do remember the first few semesters I held class (it used to be required for us to hold class and for students to attend), it was a bit awkward at first but after a while, it becomes very natural and normal.

(I would post a link to some sessions but students sign in using their names, often first and last, and so that would be a violation.)


No comments:

Post a Comment