Tuesday, May 31, 2016

"Communicate 1.1.2 – Laws of Communication" Quest

"Communicate 1.1.2 – Laws of Communication" Quest

The best way to avoid a violation of FERPA policies in online communication is to never include the student's private information, including a course grade average. When concerns arise about student performance, it is best to telephone the parent or guardian listed in the system to discuss over the phone. It is important to communicate with parents that such information cannot be distributed over the internet for their child's safety. Additionally, in the Newsletters that I send out to students and parents, I am careful to list only a student's first name if I am praising him/her for a job well done by showcasing his/her work. When I send out those items or any other item to the group, I always send the email to my address, then BC all others receiving the information. Another aspect to consider is keeping your computer and access to data and files secure. I am always careful when in the face to face classroom to log off access to student information if I am not sitting at my computer. I also do not write down my passwords for any site which accesses student information.

Creative Commons
The best way to comply with copyright laws is to search for materials within the Creative Commons. This ensures that any item found is available for free use. One can also follow the guidelines of Fair Use in order to use copyright materials, in which one can comment upon, criticize, or parody the material without permission. Below is a link to an article that explores the aspects of Fair Use that I find useful.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

No comments:

Post a Comment