Friday, May 27, 2016

"Navigate 3.1.4 – LMS Reporting" Quest

"Navigate 3.1.4 – LMS Reporting" Quest

I will consider Brightspace for the reflection on this topic because I have the most experience with it. We have the student level, teacher level, course level and program level analytics.


Within Brightspace, the features that I am most familiar with are accessing student data that summarizes how many times they have accessed the course, visited content, accessed others' posts in forums, attempted assessments, and completed submissions. There are also reports that analyze various aspects of performance on assessments. You can see the spectrum of those from the screenshot below. Click the image to enlarge:





For me, I think the most valuable level for the online instructor in regard to student performance are seeing how students perform on individual assessments. I particularly use the feature highlighted below, which shows me each question of an assessment, how many students missed it and what answers were given. I can use this data to drive remediation opportunities and the need for reassessment, which ultimately increases student achievement. At a glance, I can tell which questions posed student difficulty (see below, the third question) and I can focus my feedback on those issues by providing extra practice and instruction geared toward areas of weakness.

 

I also often use these features to drive review at the end of the semester before the final exam. I create games based on the most frequently missed questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment