Friday, May 27, 2016

"Navigate 3.1.3 – Tools within the LMS" Quest

"Navigate 3.1.3 – Tools within the LMS" Quest

One of the things that stood out to me in the reading was from "Why Tech Training for Faculty is a Waste of Time." She mentions the differentiation between using an LMS for administrative aspects of a course and using an LMS for pedagogical reasons. This is something that I think is of the utmost importance. As I mentioned in the last quest, I would like to see my future face to face students use an LMS in conjunction with my class in order to teach them the skills they will need to learn and survive in the digital world. In my opinion, that is the number one skill that they will need to take away with them from high school.

I believe that incorporating the use of a discussion board, self assessments, and dropbox will afford students the opportunity for reflection that is often lacking in a face to face classroom environment while teaching them to use technology and the digital environment in a responsible fashion. It will also offer students who are often too shy to participate vocally in class the chance to show off what they know to their peers in a more discrete and non-intimidating way.

The feature that might be least important in an online course is the instant messaging element. I think email takes the place of this because one does not get the message instantly unless logged into the LMS. It is much more "instant" to send an email since most people have smart phones where they check email frequently.

Below is a wonderful lecture given at Berkeley that I found which supports my way of thinking.
http://www.njvid.net/show.php?pid=njcore:23862


No comments:

Post a Comment